Sunday, 26 August 2012

Devil wears Prada?


Here I am, New York City. After the luxurious flight, Virgin Atlantic Airways spoilt me with their unlimited bar and unlimited snacks, I arrived in JFK all alone, my first time away by myself, 4000 miles away from home, 9pm at night, I hoped in a cab and headed to my hostel. On arrival I felt as if I had gone from luxury to the total opposite. What is a poor student to do in this situation? Well to carry on as usual I suppose. 11:30pm I hit the pillow and slept to prevent my jet lag. The next day I woke and felt utterly strange ‘where am I’ Its boiling hot and im going to be living out of a suit case. I visited a few attractions in the two days of the weekend. I sit down to eat and I was alone and so lonely in such a big city with so many people, I couldn’t help but notice the people with their families and how it brought back memories to the first time I was visiting back in December 2006. Although I was alone and miles away from home I knew that my family were there to support my decision to take this risk and travel to NYC for an internship. I wouldn’t let my emotions stand in the way of completing something I longed for, for such a long time.  It’s a big risk, I hadn’t really thought about it until now, how much work it had taken to get this far, how many hours I had to work to save a substantial amount of money and how I didn’t know anyone in the city.

Tomorrow is my first day at work, I’m not that nervous. I feel excited and I am going to be objective. I am going to leave super early and get breakfast in Starbucks prepare myself for the day.  Bare in mind this is my first proper internship, is it going to be like The Devil Wears Prada?

No comments:

Post a Comment